* '''January 1''' The United Nations declares 2061 the "Year of the Comet." Corporations rush to design and launch probes (and sabotage each others' progress) to reach and study Halley's Comet.
* '''January 2''' Voice of Ogoun Justin Rochefort is assassinated en route to Washington to collect his reward from Dunkelzahn's Will. Marcus Cross is appointed interim Voice.
* '''February''' A car bomb explodes outside the Aztechnology building in Calgary, trapping over two thousand people in the rubble. Civil Chief Bobby Bear and War Chief Carl Hillborn are among the dead. Aztechnology blames "elven eco-terrorists" and new War Chief Adam Doxtator orders a crackdown on eco-activists.
* '''March 19''' A power outage strikes Seattle. It takes forty-eight hours before service is initially restored and brownouts plague the metroplex for weeks afterward.
* '''March 21''' The Corporate Court founds the Grid Overwatch Division as a cross-jurisdictional Matrix law enforcement division.
* '''May 7''' Tibetan monks transport Inazo Aneki to the Hong Kong Free Enterprise Zone to transfer him back to Renraku Computer Systems custody. Shadowrunners working for Overwatch abduct Aneki and eventually bring him into the Renraku Arcology to confront and shut down Deus.
* '''May 13''' Renraku Computer Systems announces that they have resolved the Renraku Arcology crisis, although hostile drones still control most of the arcology. Sherman Huang, Cham La Won, and Vanessa Cliber are credited with leading the resolution.
* '''May 29''' Damien Knight apologizes for Ares Macrotechnology's "accidental" destruction of Saeder-Krupp's ''Duccio'' probe.
* '''June''' Renraku Computer Systems announces the death of its CEO, Inazo Aneki.
* '''June 11''' Shibata Construction and Engineering's ''Kepler'' probe is severely damaged before launch at Aztechnology's ''Spindle'' space station.
* '''June 18''' The Cataclyst terrorist cell highjacks the semiballistic craft carrying the Shiawase Corporation's ''Brahe'' probe, which explodes during its ascent, destroying the probe and killing all on board.
* '''June 20''' At dawn, Stonehenge restores itself to its original condition. The ley line beneath draws strength from the power site.
* '''July 12''' A meteor strikes Ares Macrotechnology's ''Gigas'' probe, severely damaging it and knocking it off course.
* '''July 21''' King Berthold I of the Black Forest Troll Kingdom disappears. Chancellor Hugo von Hasslach is appointed regent.
* '''July 28''' Halley's Comet reaches perihelion.
* '''August 11''' Novatech's ''Whipple'' probe performs an erroneous attitude burn, taking it off course.
* '''August 14''' New Orleans police still have no suspects in a brutal multiple homicide of eleven adults and two children.
* '''August 15''' The Aleph Society declares that it can restore the magical abilities of burned-out Awakened.
* '''ca. August 20''' Over twenty citizens of Vladivostok, believed to be members of the outlawed Bridging the Void cult, go missing.
* '''August 30''' Yamatetsu loses contact with its ''Gagarin'' probe moments before it makes contact with Halley's Comet.
* '''September 1''' Portland authorities discover six freshly severed metahuman tongues drilled into signposts around a small city park. Police cordon off the area.
* '''September 4''' Badr al Din Ibn Eisa, leader of the Islamic Unity Movement, is assassinated in front of the Ka'bah in Mecca.
* '''September 5''' At 0400, Dunkelzahn's Rift begins to pulse. Halley's Comet becomes visible to the naked eye. The Church of the Undying Light establishes an outreach center in the Puyallup Barrens. A one-kilometer area of astral space around Wuxing's Skytower on Aberdeen Island, Hong Kong Free Enterprise Zone, becomes visible to normal senses.
* '''September 6''' The first case of SURGE is reported in the media.
* '''September 9''' Five days after his death, Badr al Din Ibn Eisa walks out of his mausoleum and makes a brief statement where he declares a New Islamic Jihad.
* '''September 10''' SURGE cases become widespread.
* '''September 12''' Nationale Aktion releases an airborne strain of VITAS-1 into the Olympiapark Stadium in Munich, killing nearly ten thousand homeless metahumans and aid workers.
* '''September 13''' At 0300, Governor Lindstrom of Seattle declares a state of emergency as violence erupts against changelings in the metroplex.
* '''September 15''' One of the Ork Rights Committee's leaders, pacifist Rohit Talwar, is killed defending a changeling from a human street gang. At 1500, Dunkelzahn's Rift begins to pulse again and three unknown spirits are observed escaping the rift.
* '''September 23''' Lone Star announces that they have evidence linking six mass murders around the world to the Bridging the Void cult. Hundreds of Indian saddhus bathing in the Ganges River are SURGE.
* '''October 2''' A Humanis Policlub demonstration near Dunkelzahn's Rift turns into a riot. Spirits summoned by the security force refuse to assist, instead hovering around the rift until the riot is pacified.
* '''October 13''' More of the unidentified spirits break out of Dunkelzahn's Rift, rushing through the gathered crowd and killing eleven civilians in the ensuing riot. The rift cordon is extended by fifty meters.
* '''October 17''' Novatech announces the start of construction on the Olympia lunar base.
* '''October 27''' A series of earthquakes strikes along the Pacific Ring of Fire. At approximately 0537 GMT, the Unzen Volcano erupts, burying Shimabara under volcanic ash, mud, and lava. The Emperor and his family are among the thousands of casualties. The Imperial government declares a state of emergency and issues orders for Imperial Marines abroad to return home to assist in the recovery efforts.
* '''October 31/November 1''' More spirit activity is observed around Dunkelzahn's Rift, coinciding with Halloween festivities. At 0022 November 1, a wujen mage delivers a warning to the Rift security force from his ancestor spirits the "Shedim" are returning.
* '''November''' This month's issue of ''Neoscientist'' includes an article indicating that SURGE is not restricted to metahumanity. The Hudson Bay Incident KSAF captures trideo of Aztechnology Corporate Security and the Algonkian-Manitou Council military attacking a drydocked houseboat on Hudson Bay. A dozen prominent Manitou leaders and five well-known anti-Aztechnology activists are among the dead.
* '''November 4''' Colonel Keiji Saito refuses to return to the Home Islands. He and two divisions of AWOL Japanese Imperial Marines occupy San Francisco and Saito declares himself Protectorate General.
* '''November 10''' The Auvergne volcanoes in France erupt on the astral plane. Thirteen individuals die from damage to their astral forms as magma floods the astral space, but there is no effect on the material plane.
* '''November 22''' Protectorate General Keiji Saito's occupation force has captured McClellan Air Force Base in Sacramento, Beale AFB in Marysville, and Travis AFB in Fairfield by this time.
* '''November 27''' A Dunkelzahn Institute of Magical Research team identifies a recently-discovered vein of metal in Azania as orichalcum. The news sparks an orichalcum rush among the megacorporations.
* '''December 2''' An 8.5 earthquake rocks Los Angeles. Over ten thousand people die in the collapse of buildings and the ensuing fires and violence.
* '''December 8''' The Pueblo Corporate Council enters Los Angeles in response to requests for aid.
* '''December 17''' Spirits of unknown origin erupt from the central ''stupa'' at the Borobodur temple complex in Java. The Javanese military and Astral Space Preservation Society work together to catalog and recapture as many spirits as they can.
* '''December 24''' A massive draconic astral form tears itself from Dunkelzahn's Rift, dragging countless spirits with it into the material world. It consumes the astral projection of an Army mage before flying west.
* '''December 25''' The UCAS Department of Health and Metahuman Services establishes definitive proof of the existence of shedim. The astral dragon that exited Dunkelzahn's Rift is seen in Denver, having regained its physical body. It destroys the Aztlan ''teocalli'' and damages the Aztechnology Building. It briefly engages the CAS border security before breaking off.
* '''December 28''' The dragon now dubbed "Ghostwalker" by the the media returns to Denver and burns out a residential building in the UCAS sector, killing six including Glennis Shand, leader of the Unity policlub. Ghostwalker targets other high-profile buildings, including the Council Hall in the Aztlan sector.